Eastern Nova Scotia Exhibition
The Exhibition began as a fall fair by the County of Sydney Agricultural Society in 1853. |In 1909, the fair was known as the Antigonish Fall Fair and located East of Antigonish, near St. Andrews Street. The Highland Games were held at this site as well as other community events. The present exhibition is located on the property of the late Dan Hubert. The Highland Games used this property until Columbus Field was developed and the games moved there.
The property was then conveyed to the Municipality of the County of Antigonish and there is a long-term lease with the county and the Federation of the County of Antigonish and there is a long-term lease with the county and the Federation of Agriculture. In 1959, the Eastern Nova Scotia Commission was incorporated by the Societies Act, which was subsequently amended in 1969 tand 2001 to accomodate changes in the Exhibition operations.
The top programs and features of the Exhibition are the ATV Obstacle Course, heavy and light horse pulls, barrel racing and pole bending.
Recent improvements made have included purchasing new grand stands, and possible plans for next year may include a new Farmers Market and a 4-H barn.
During the off-season, the facility has storage rentals as well as light horse shows on the exhibition grounds.